Monday, November 4, 2013

I Will Not be Voting

   I will not be voting in tomorrow's municipal elections, for I know next to nothing about the candidates. What would my vote accomplish? It would be like a roll of the dice in hopes my vote would end up with the person I would have voted for had I studied the candidates.
   I am derelict of not having studied them, it is true, but, just the same, I would not serve the process well by voting. My vote would but cancel out that of someone who did study the candidates.
   'Tis my decision a reflection that the republican form of government is better than the democratic? In the democratic form, we have everyone vote. In the republican, it often calls for the informed to vote on behalf of the uninformed.
   I would say, if the people will inform themselves of the candidates, the democratic form is better. But, if they will not, the republican form is to be preferred.

No comments:

Post a Comment