Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Thirty-seven Percent Pull Out Their Credit Cards for Christmas

   Christmas as an economic issue, as in, should we measure our economy's health by how much we spend during the Christmas season?
    Let me ask that another way. Should we measure our economy's health by how debt we accumulate buying Christmas presents? It seems to me, running our populace into debt is not a healthy thing for said populace.
   Granted, only an estimate 37 percent use their credit cards (survey by CreditDonkey.com). Still, that's 37 percent engaging in an unhealthy practice, and that's a sizeable portion being hurt.
   If I can say borrowing hurts a person, and I do. There might be things to borrow for, and times to borrow, but I'm not sure I'd count Christmas as one of them.
   I read tonight that the average American spends $935 on Christmas each year (according to the American Consumer Credit Council). That, too, is worthy of consideration as to whether it is a benefit to our economy.
   I suppose, from the vantage point of all spending being a good thing, $935 is wonderful for the economy. I would have a hard time arguing against that, admittedly.

http://askville.amazon.com/average-american-spend-christmas/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=270681



No comments:

Post a Comment