Tuesday, December 17, 2013

To Learn about Computers, Send Us All Back to School

   We recall cars when they don't come out quite right, and we update computer programs (sometimes, it seems weekly), and we call our legislators back into special session when urgent issues comes up.
   So, we would do well to recall all of us (or at least everyone who wants to be recalled), send every graduate (and non-graduate) who wants to go back to school, back to school. We would do well to at least offer all of us this update to our educations.
   The world has changed since many of us graduated. A good share of our jobs involve computers. Our social lives now usually involve computers. We live in a world of computers, and yet we were never trained in the world of computers. You might say, we live in a world we were not trained for.
   So, why not train us for it?
   You might reply by suggesting I go take an evening class in computers at my community college, if I feel this way. You are right, there are plenty of them, and, perhaps, classes online, to boot. Whoever wants to take them, can take them. No one is stopping us.
   I, like most of us, am begging for time in my life, but that is not a great excuse.
   Still, it would be neat if we as a society created a program encouraging everyone to come back in, get refitted, and shot back into the world. No one would be forcing us to go, then, either.
   Yes, I am a hypocrite, for I will probably never learn computer programming, though I believe I and most of us would be better off if we did. I do not know but what the learning is a little more than I would be able to do. Perhaps it is more than what the average one of us would want to do.
   Right now, hardly a one amongst us can design and create a website. I dream of a society where most everyone could do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment