Thursday, January 23, 2014

Could it be Wrong to Listen to the Bible on the Same-Sex Question?

   So, we have the Bible, and what it says against same-sex marriage. And, we have me, having indicated that in a study of this matter, we should consider all things anew. I have suggested that even though it is only of recent years that fields close to science have determined sexual attraction is predetermined, the matter should yet be considered afresh, to see if it is correct.
   So, then, of the Bible: Should we consider it afresh, also? And, should I? What is good for the goose is good for the gander. If I am to reconsider one side of the question, I should reconsider the other. This means I should reconsider three things: One, whether that is really what the Bible is saying. Two, whether, though it was said, was it really inspired or, if instead, it just made its way into the Bible. Three, whether Christianity is true to begin with, that I should even be listening to the Bible in the first place.
   That last question might seem preposterous, that I should question my testimony. Never entertain thoughts of doubt, some would say. As I sat reading a portion of Isaiah quoted in the Book of Mormon this morning, I found myself drifting to this question. I concluded that reconsidering a matter is not wrong. Asking afresh if something is true is not wrong. But, asking the question does not mean you put down all you know, but rather than you pick it up. Asking afresh the question of whether Christianity is true, and whether my denomination -- the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- is God's own-created church, is not wrong. It does not require that I let go of what I know, only that I reconsider the points, and whether they are valid.
    For purposes of this quick blog this morning, I cannot fully reconsider Christianity and my church and give the effort sufficient time to be sufficient. But, I will say I believe I do and have reconsidered Christianity and the church from time to time.
    So, then, the middle question, whether what is said about same-sex marriage was inspired. Were these simply things that were said by prophets who were letting their own experiences and the beliefs of the world around them get into what they were writings? I think not. Especially is it hard to imagine that with regard to the creation. God created man, then, seeing that man was alone, created woman. He didn't create another man, that the man might not be alone, but a woman. That is a report of what happened.Yes, it is not beyond all chance that society's norms at the time of that scripture's writing might have influenced the passage to say a reason for the woman being created was to provide a partner, but that possibility is but very faint. The scripture is, as I said, simply a report of what happened.
   So, that leaves but one matter, whether the Bible really comes out against same-sex sexual activity. Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind, it says. That seems very clear. Other passages might not seem so clear. To say "vile affections" are wrong leaves wiggle room as to what vile affections are. I read such phrases in the background of what is being said in the rest of the verses, however, and do conclude they are, indeed, speaking of same-sex relations.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment