Sunday, May 18, 2014

Righteous Indignation is not Always Righteous

   Righteous indignation is not always righteous.
   I say this as I find myself being too judgemental of a post on the Internet, it proving to be false information and making false claims and accusations. "After a little study, and posting on the errors, I find myself commenting something like, So, we see that this is wrong and that this also is wrong and with both of those things being wrong, it makes us wonder about your third point." Crowing, I'm afraid, am I. And, I'm "righteously indignant" at what he posted.
   Being charitable toward others requires me to go back and erase my crowing comment. I don't know what led him to believe and say the things he did. I shouldn't judge. He may have offered the post thinking surely he was correct, only to be humiliated to learn he was not. That is enough, without me (figuratively speaking) standing with one foot on him, and waving a sword over him, as if I just conquered him by showing the world how wrong he was.
   Better to be a Christian than a conquering, supposed Christian. Better to leave judgement to the Lord. Better to be charitable. Better to not be righteously indignant.
   For all too often, righteous indignation is not righteous.

No comments:

Post a Comment