Friday, October 10, 2014

Do We Shoot Blindly at the Shadows?

   My body went hurling into a dark abyss, floating, spinning and tumbling as dark, humanish shadows came  at me on my left and on my right. Frightened by them, I swung wildly, hoping to knock them away, feeling an urgent need to hurt and destroy in order to protect myself.
   And, when it ended, and I lay on the ground, panting for breath, the devil, himself, came up and spoke to me. "We shall try this again, only with this," he said, handing me a gun.
   Again, I went sailing into the night, tumbling and twisting. And, again the shadows came toward me. I unleashed a torrent of bullets on them. Hearing their screams, I felt glee, and I laughed into the night, as if I were Satan himself.
  And, when the sun came up, and I again found myself lying on the ground, I saw what prey my bullets had claimed. I turned my head one way to see my wife and children, and another to see my parents and my brothers and sisters. I raised my head to gaze below my feet, and saw all my friends lying dead. Then, I turned the fourth and final direction, and witnessed the fallen bodies of all my acquaintances, fellow church members and co-workers.
   And, the gun fell from my hand, and I cried.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment