Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Coddling Them or Cussing Them, Which Will it be?

   Aye, I see some would whistle over my suggestions for prison reform and dismiss them as being too much coddling of the prisoner.
   Never mind that I would have them work, every last one of them, if possible. Trouble with my suggestions is that I preach love for the prisoner, respect for the prisoner. I speak of bettering him and the path of life ahead of him, and some fancy that that means giving them advantages they don't deserve, things like education.
   I speak of giving them meaningful hobbies, so they will have interests to turn to when they get out, so they will have something purposeful to occupy them on the outside. Alas, my suggestion is dismissed as more coddling. Why should we show them to a good time, give them things they might enjoy doing, when the object is to make them so miserable they will never want to come back?

No comments:

Post a Comment