Wednesday, November 29, 2017

The Best Ideas Should Make the Biggest News

   Books should be news, big news.
   I am not a book reader. Wish I were. But, on the rare occasion I browse through the bookstore, I am excited by what is out there, the information and wonderful thinking crammed into books.
   The information in these books should be news. Yes, books do make some news, when a significant news-maker releases them. But, I am saying books should be making the news for what is in them, not just because someone important wrote them.
   Our best ideas should always be news. If they do not receive attention, the wind and the sand will blow over them. The ideas will be lost. When someone has a wonderful idea, we need to hear about it to learn from it.
   If I were head of a large news agency, I would have at least one staffer whose beat was books -- nothing else. He (or she) would be charged with sorting through the books, and finding the ones with notable arguments, and notable ideas.
   And, when the ideas contained in these books were significant -- which would be often -- we would run the stories in lead fashion, ahead of the other news of the day.
   Even if the writer were an unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment