Sunday, March 18, 2018

I Differ with the Other Online Commentors, But Respect Their View

   There was march supporting undocumented people yesterday. Wish I had known about it. Would have loved to have participated. Read the news story and the online comments. Most every comment ran against the marchers, and was along the lines of, "How dare you even stand up for these people; They are criminals." Sometimes, in stating my opinion, I can be a little tart. Just the same, sometime ago, I made a determination to show a respect for the opposite viewpoint as I express my opinion. So, I tried to do that in my online comment. It received no likes and no one responded to it, so it obviously didn't get much consideration. Still I like what I said and the way I said it, so I will share it with you below.
   "Bless those of you with a different opinion than what I have, which appears to be all but one or two on this thread. We simply have two different perspectives. From my perspective, the Constitution is behind these people. The Declaration of Independence is behind them. I have read the four spots in the Constitution that concern, or are said to concern, immigration, and considered them carefully. Many of you, also, have read them and you have come to a different conclusion. As I see it, yes, these people are violating laws that we have created. But, no, they are not violating the Constitution, which (to great surprise) actually calls for a path to citizenship.
   "I wonder whether the thought of deporting these people even crossed the minds of the Founding Fathers. Studying history, it seems it may have been foreign to their thoughts.
   "So, I say, bless those who marched on behalf of the undocumented. They are perhaps the most oppressed and wrongfully vilified members of our society. Bless those who stand up for them, and who would rescue them.  The undocumented have held rallies in the past, but I wonder if any have had this much support from non-immigrants."

Note: Blog introduction changed early 3-19-18 as I used the intro I had used in my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment