Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Let the People be My Lobbyists

I've filed for public office, again. This time, I might have a different approach. After spending years coming up with answers to all the world's problems, so to speak, it is a turnabout for me to decide I want to legislate by gathering ideas from the public, and temper my own ideas by keeping them within the mandate of the people. I'm giving this thought, though, and might decide to go this direction. Here are two drafts of a short speech I could make. In some places, what I say is a little disjointed, as I come up with quotable lines and try to fit them together. These two takes need to be consolidated and expanded.

SECOND TAKE ON MY THOUGHTS TONIGHT:
  I'd like to legislate by gathering my ideas from the public. So, instead of me bringing my ideas to the capital, let me bring yours. If I have something I want to do, let me run it by you first, to see if you buy off on it. Government for the people, by the people, and of the people, Abraham Lincoln said, and I'd like to be a facilitator of that type of government.
  There will be times, perhaps, when I must vote my conscience. But, even then, let me seek your input, your reasoning. Let me see there must be times when I set down my own views to vote, instead, the way you would have me.
   And, as for the legislation, itself, I think it would be wonderful if I let you suggest it. I'm talking a little bit of a twist from the way things are done now. Currently, a lobbyist approaches the legislator and so the legislator crafts a bill. And, why not? the lobbyist is his constituent, right? I'm not going to say I won't listen to lobbyists, but instead of spending all my listening time with them, I'd like to spend the bulk with you. Let you -- the people -- be my lobbyists.

FIRST TAKE ON MY THOUGHTS TONIGHT:
   Ours is a representative form of government, and I'd like to be a more truly a representative of the people than what is common. Now, I have my own thoughts on the issues, but maybe it is time we, as elected officials, took our mandate from the people, more than we do now. So, instead of me bringing my own ideas to the capital, let me bring yours. Let me gather your ideas, let me ask you what legislation you would like to see, and let me take those ideas and proposals up to the Hill.
  I'm not talking, "Let me run a survey, and ask you which are your priorities: Education, pollution, and so forth." No, I'd like to step beyond that. I'd like to ask you for the solutions. I'd like to ask you for the legislation.We have gun violence and school shootings: What should we do? Instead of composing a blue ribbon commission on school safety, why not let you, the people, come up with the solutions?
 Your brightest minds are often in the public. We, as elected officials, should turn to the common person more. We need to put the public back in republic. Re means repeat over again, so republic means the public over and over and over again.
   So, when we, as elected officials, seek input, perhaps we should seek it from more than the lobbyists. Let the people be my lobbyists. I am not saying, Officialdom is Officialdumb, but I am saying common wisdom comes from common people.
  What is it about us --as a society-- that makes us think our suggestions have to come from someone official before they amount to much? Notice how newspapers sometimes don't print guest editorials unless they are written by someone with credentials? Notice how governments often don't put someone on a committee unless they are "experts"? 

No comments:

Post a Comment