Saturday, July 14, 2018

'Don't Think Twice; It's Alright' and Maxine Waters

 As I start to write my last blog, having written not a whole lot more than, "I think twice on Maxine Waters," I'm on YouTube, and mercy me if a song doesn't come on titled, "Don't think Twice, It's Alright." I wonder if the heavens are imploring me to accept the my first thought instead of thinking twice. I wonder if I'm getting a message suggesting that what Maxine Waters is doing is alright.
   Don't know if that is the case, but it's normal enough to wonder.
   The man in the song is leaving home because he has been abused by his wife. Now, I don't normally believe in families being broken up; I don't believe in husbands leaving their wives. But, the man in the song was treated so poorly, he left his home to escape it.
   Now, there's more than one way you can go as you look for an analogy. If we are to find a message in the song, and apply it to immigration, what shall the message be? Looking at the story in the song, I can see at least two possibilities:
   (1) Even as in the song, the man was driven out of his home because of ill treatment, so it is with the immigrants: They have sometimes been mistreated in their home countries. We might be inclined to tell them not to leave home, but to stay there and work things out by bettering their home counties. But, maybe sometimes things are so bad, we should understand when they feel the need to flee. just as the man in the song fled to escape his abusive wife.
   (2)  Even as the husband in the song leaves his wife to migrate about, and that is what causes the breakup of his family (him and his wife), even so the migrating of the parents into another country is what brings to pass the breakup of the children from their parents'. And, just as the man's leaving his wife is not a good thing -- it is the breakup of that family -- even so separating the children from their parents is not a good thing, but it is simply what happens. So, as so many are arguing, if you don't want to lose your children, don't leave your home country to migrate to America.
    I'm not saying whether I endorse that second thought, I'm just saying it is one of the things you could take out of the song if you are looking to apply the song to immigration. And, I guess I'm crazy enough to look for messages when I write, "I think twice on Maxine Waters," only to have a song titled, "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright," come on.




No comments:

Post a Comment