Friday, July 6, 2018

Don't Send These to Me, for I will Sweep them Right Back out the Door

You remember a couple days ago, that lady who crawled up the Statue of Liberty? What she really was trying to do, was get a better look at the poem that's posted there. Looking closely, she found what it really says is, "Don't give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. If you did that, that would be an invasion. No, and don't send the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, for they are all criminals -- criminals just for coming. And please don't send the homeless, tempest-tost to me, for they will only want my welfare and my hospital care -- and they are way too poor to pay for what they need. So, seeing all the problems they will cause, I lift my broom as they try to come in, and I sweep them right back out, for my door is golden, and the only people walking through it should be those who will keep it that way by helping make me rich."

No comments:

Post a Comment