Sunday, July 1, 2018

Heroes like those in 'Chariots of Fire'

   Highlight from church today? They played a little bit of Chariots of Fire, in which Scottish runner Eric Liddell refuses to run in the Olympics on a Sunday, when his 100-meter race is scheduled. A teammate offers to let him run in his spot on another day, but it is in the 400-meters. Now, 100-meter sprinters do not translate well as 400-meter runners, as that takes an endurance they are not familiar with. But, the same, Liddell wins.
   I never saw Chariots of Fire, but I read how it is also about Harold Abrahams, a Jewish Englishman who runs to overcome prejudice.

   Now, here's my thought: Wouldn't it be neat if such figures as Liddell and Abrahams were heroes of ours? What if schools had a course on heroes such as these? I will tell you I cannot name too many heroes along this line, but wish I could. Joan of Arc comes to mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment