Monday, September 3, 2018

We Come to the Aid of Those Afar; Let Us also Help Our Own

  In Chicago this day, a protest drew but maybe 50 people. But, the hearts of all Americans should be with them. In a nation that demands justice, it would be good to see us demand justice for Chicago. In a nation that cares about its neighbors, and cares about the welfare of those in cities far away, let America care about Chicago.
  We go to war for those in far away countries. We fight for freedom for those in Iraq, and Korea, and Vietnam. Let us fight for those in our own land -- not with bullets, but with posters. Would that there were protests throughout our land demanding justice for Chicago.
   Protests for the southern and western ends of the town, that is, for they are the oppressed ends of the city. Today's protest called for something to be done about the violence and poverty in those ends of the town.
  I think of the words from a church hymn.
  "Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care;
   "I cannot see another's lack and I not share."
   Perhaps more succinctly, I cannot see another's need and I not care. Chicagoans of the southern and western sides are in need. We, as fellow Americans, should care.
   You will wonder what they face, what great cause is upon them that I should think that all of America should care.
   Wait one day, and I shall write again.

No comments:

Post a Comment