Sunday, March 31, 2019

Behind Every Industry is a Lobbyist, So what of the Education Industry?

  Education is good, but it can be an industry, and certainly is just that. Now, whenever you have an industry, you will have lobbyists from it. And, yes, whenever you have an industry, that industry will be contributing to the political campaigns of those it perceives will support it.
  Today, I read how Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal would have guaranteed higher education to all Americans. And, I recalled looking up her political contributions and finding a good share came from the education industry. Do I see a connection here? Bless her, the same, as it is normal for a politician to say, I would support that cause, anyway, so it will not hurt if I take money from you.
   When it comes to political contributions, those from the education industry will surely be seen as benign, but are they? If everyone gets a higher education, there will be the maximum participation and thus greater profit for the industry.
   As I was concluding my thoughts on this, I returned to my Facebook feed and saw a post from one state legislator. He spoke with concern about how there is a move to make more education compulsory. Again, I wondered where the proposal is originating. Those from the industry surely are in favor, and it is quite possible their lobbyists are reaching politicians.
   We should consider this, then: that these proposals for education self-serve the education industry. We should not just blindly go along. We should think it all through and decide for ourselves if the proposals are good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment