Friday, March 29, 2019

Freedom doesn't pander its own.

Some suggest rights are only for Americans, not for the undocumented. I believe, though, that the "for all" in the Pledge of Allegiance means liberty and justice are for all. In America, everyone has the right to justice. 

I think of how we are circumventing them out of our justice system -- screening them out. I think of how they come to the border asking that the court determine if they can come on refugee status. I think how we stop them, by only allowing so many such cases to be processed, thus making them wait in Tijuana for months, knowing that the fewer cases we hear, the fewer refugees we will have to allow.

I cannot understand how we do not see the injustice in this.

There may be other ways in which we place ourselves, being born here, ahead of the immigrants, both those who come legally and those who come without approval. For one, I think of our insistence that they be required  to speak our language. To all this, I suggest,
Freedom creates not privilege just for its own, but, by its nature, treats everyone equal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment