Sunday, October 20, 2019

'Let Your Speech be always with Grace'

  "Let your speech be always with grace." -- Colossians 4:6

  As I reflect on the world we live in, and the hatred among us -- as I look at what is happening politically, and the tone of voice in political exchanges and on Facebook -- I see this scripture as the antidote.
  And, it is a much-needed antidote. The bickering among our leaders is one of the greater threats to our nation. I am not saying, do not impeach President Trump. Nor, am I saying, do not consider whether the President's charges against Joe and Hunter Biden are valid. No; nor am I saying it is wrong to vocalize how the President's withdrawal from protecting the Kurds is a dark moment in our nation's history, if that is what you believe.
  But, there is a level of civility that is lacking. We, as a nation, need to attain it. It is critical. If the friction is deep enough, and lasts long enough, our nation will fracture. We must learn to speak to each other and express our concerns about each other in a more civil manner. I think of how Democrat leaders walked out of a meeting with the President this week. I was not there. I've read how the President called Nancy Pelosi "a third-rate politician." That's a personal attack. It's name calling. I do not know if Pelosi and the Democrats responded in kind -- whether they were also resorting to name-calling and personal attacks, but I know that such conduct is not what we need among us, as we try to solve our problems as a nation.
   "Let your speech be always with grace." Wouldn't be such a bad idea if that scripture were posted in several of the halls in Washington. And, as our leaders gathered to talk to each other, they considered on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment