Saturday, May 2, 2020

I Believe Tara Reade, not Joe Biden

   I would have supported Joe Biden for president had he come clean and admitted to sexually assaulting Tara Reade. To me, that would have displayed great character, knowing the accusation was standing in the way of him gaining the presidency, but confessing to it, anyway.
   Actually, when I did first read Friday's news story in which Biden continued to deny the charge, I judged him to be telling the truth.
   As the day wore on, and I read other stories, however, I flipped back to believing not Biden, but Reade. And, today? Reade is back, commenting, and what she says is cementing my belief in her.
  All we can do is read the news diligently and make our call. We listen and read carefully, knowing the news is all we've got, and then we make our judgment. Is it wrong, to so judge? This is the highest office in the land we are talking about. We, of course, do want to put a good person in the office. We do not know what happened. We can only judge from the facts before us, which amount to little more than conflicting testimony.
   It simply boils down to, Reade sounds credible to me.
   Months remain before the election. I don't know what might yet be revealed. But, at this point, the allegations from Tara Reade are preventing me from voting for Joe Biden.
   Donald Trump, then? Even if I were inclined to vote for him, I could no quicker cast my vote for him than for Biden. I believe E. Jean Carroll's account of Trump raping her. And, there is the accusation, which I judge to be true, that he long ago raped a 13-year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment