Monday, June 1, 2020

'All Lives Matter' is like a hospital without triage

  Blood squirting from a bullet hole in his chest, Tim Skurps found himself in a long line that day. The violence across the city and a virus spreading like wildfire combined to overwhelm the city's lone hospital.
   The line stretched far down the hall. Tim was feeling faint, and knew he could succumb at any moment, so he desperately worked his way through the line to the front, where the medics awaited.
   "Sir, I need help," he uttered through weak lips.
   "You'll have to wait," came the answer.
   "Sir, if you don't mind, my life matters," Tim said.
    The medic looked at the person he had just finished with. "Just a cough, son. You can go on home." He looked at the next person in line and asked how he could help.
    "I think I sprained my ankle," the lady said.
     Tim was still standing there. He appealed for help once again. "Sir, please help me. Please, sir. I'm dying. My life matters."
    The medic looked at the long line of patients  and motioned his arm toward them. "See all these people?" he asked. "All lives matter.  And, so I'm going to treat them all equal and take each one in the order they come."
    Tim just stood there in disbelief.
    "Did you hear me?" the medic asked. "Did you hear me? I said all lives matter. Go back and get in line."
    Tim turned and proceeded to return to his spot in the line. As he did, his voice faintly uttered, "But, my life should matter. My life should matter more than this."
   "I heard that!" the medic shouted. And, he mockingly began to chant, "All lives matter, All lives Matter, All lives matter," as his eyes followed Tim returning to his spot. He then laughed a little, and returned to his work by calling the next person in line.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment