Saturday, October 3, 2020

Guns, Guns, Guns . . . We cannot Outlaw Them

 What matters, is what is right. I speak of the Second Amendment, and of gun laws, and the use of guns. 

 In deciding what should be done, we should pursue what is right. We should reflect on the issue. Weigh it. Then, simply not drift from what is right. Pursuit of truth demands no less. 

  Truth is not always popular.

  I have thought on this issue much in the last ten or so years. Much. My thoughts have ranged. I've thought, the Constitution says don't infringe on the right to keep and bear on arms, so that should be the end of it. And, on the flip side, I've thought how the same Constitution says the reason for not infringing on the people's right to bear arms is because in those days, when you went to war, you brought your own gun. If arms were taken from the people, and an enemy attacked, the country couldn't defend itself. These days, that isn't the case. No soldier brings his own gun with him (or her) when they join the armed services. The military provides all the weapons. 

  Truth is not always popular. But, I do so think my thoughts contain truth.

   Through all my thoughts, or at least going back a number of years, I've been able to see how an abundance of guns is not a good thing. The gun is the tool of death. It was probably created with no other purpose. With it, people are killed. It accommodates killing, makes it easier. No other weapon -- not a knife, not a rope, not a sledge hammer -- makes the killing of another person so easy. Just touch your finger lightly on the trigger, and -- bang, bang -- the other person is dead. Easy-peasy. 

   Without guns, if two people get in an argument, that is it. The argument ends and they walk away. Or, maybe they fight, and potentially one pounds the other's head against the pavement and kills him (or her).

   But, if there are guns, anger has its weapon. Death is more certain. If both have guns, each knows they have to be the first to use it, or the other person will. The chances one person will kill another are enhanced when you have an abundance of guns.  

   Truth is not always popular, but I do not think my thoughts are wrong. 

   What then do we do? Do we confiscate people's guns? Do we outlaw them? I've wondered on that. I've thought on it. If I am to reflect on the issue, as I said at the top of this, then, yes, I must reflect on whether guns should be outlawed. You don't weigh an issue any other way, and I did say we should weigh this matter.

   Supposing we were to reach a point where we decided society would be safer if guns were outlawed, we still couldn't do it. Too many of us are against it. The rule of democracy says give the people what they want. We are the rulers of this land, and too many of us favor the abundance of guns that we should go against them. 

   But, it would be good if we discussed the matter with each other. If we reason with each other, perhaps that reasoning will be of benefit.  


No comments:

Post a Comment