Wednesday, December 7, 2022

The Subleties of Today's Memes

 There's a new meme circulating on Facebook. It comes with a picture of an American flag, a rainbow, a soaring eagle, and a shiny old-model pickup truck. "I miss the America I grew up in!" it says.

I would ask, what's changed? We still live in the land of the free. What is the purpose of such a statement? When a person reads it, they consider all the ways America was better back then. "I miss the America I grew up in"? Underlying that statement is the insinuation that this is not the same America; America is not as great as it was back then.

There are those who would stir up discontent and foment discord and lead us on a path to insurrection. We know they are using social media. We've been warned. Yet, when we see memes such as this, we fail to recognize them for what they are: subtle messages seeking to align us with those who would rise up in rebellion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment