Saturday, August 14, 2010

Utah Might Leave Money on Table

Okay, you heard President Obama signed a new stimulus bill (only $26.1 billion this time, instead of $800-plus billion like the big one).

And, $101 million of it is to be sent to Utah, and 1,400 to 1,500 school jobs will be saved.

Now, education funding is one of our most crying needs here in Utah. Saving 1,400 schools jobs is something we desperately need to do.

But, Utah just might turn the money down. So says a story in today's Deseret News. The story quotes Governor Gary Herbert as saying the stimulus money might be a way to address the need of more funding for education. But, it says, Herbert says we should first determine if taking the money is the right thing to do.

I'm thinking not too long ago, such money would be accepted with no pause for thought. Actually, I'm wondering if Utah has ever turned money down just because we don't want pork barrel money, or because we don't want to be running up the national debt.

The story doesn't specifically say either of those reasons are what Gov. Herbert is concerned about. It may be he is concerned about the ties that come with the money.

But, the story does indicate running up the national debt is a concern of some. It quotes Rep. Carl Wimmer of Herriman on whether Utah ought to just leave the money on the table for some other state to snatch up. "Let them," Wimmer says. "At least then we can hold our heads high knowing we did not participate in the bankrupting of our nation."

All of which leaves me wondering. I remember there were states that considered leaving the big stimulus money on the table. Did any of them actually do that? I suppose they did.

I think of how I do not want to take political contributions from those whose issues will come before me, thinking it wrong to take such money.

Wimmer and others are of a same mind about taking federal money and running up the national debt. I would love to see us find a way to get money to education, but I'm having trouble disagreeing with Wimmer. Maye this, too, is a time we should say, "I'm not going to take that money."

Wimmer's argument is worthy of thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment