Thursday, March 8, 2012

Contraceptives More than Yea--Nay Thing

Do I favor contraceptives?

That question would have to be broken into many parts before I could answer it, and on some of the parts, I would want to think more before deciding.

Do I favor contraceptive use being allowed in a marriage? Yes.

Do I favor contraceptives being paid for by the government? No. But are there situations where government should pay? Perhaps. This is an area that needs more thought, before I decide. I do, though, think contraceptives should not be paid for by government, as a general rule.

Do I favor contraceptives being paid for by insurance? Yes, if the insurance company so decides and is not being mandated by the government in its decision.

Do I favor contraceptives being used by unwed partners? I wish there were no extramarital affairs, but, if they should want to use contraceptives, they should be allowed to.

Do I favor allowing teenagers to use contraceptives? Yes.

Do I favor contraceptive use being taught in schools? I pause on this one. I've already blogged that I am against it. Am I going to change my mind? At that time, my reasoning was that you don't want to be teaching them to have sex, period, so why teach them ways that having it will make it okay?

I think I will reconsider, and offer it more thought. If I should say yes, it will come with a provision. It should be taught right, if it is to be taught at all. Abstinence should be taught. Morality should be taught. Forbid that we should not be allowed to teach morality, that those who would say we should not force our morals on others should win this argument.

If contraceptives are to be taught, do not say, "This is how to do it, if you are going to do it." If we borrow from another discipline, that of salesmanship, we must know to choose wording that "assumes the sale." So, let us choose wording that assumes they are going to make the right choices. Instead of using the second-person, "If you find yourself in a situation where you are going to have sex, at least protect yourself from venereal disease by using contraceptives," perhaps offer the third-person, "You in this classroom can all be wise and stay away from sex until you are married. But, there are those who are not always as wise as you, and when they make the mistake of having sex, many of them find it serves them better to use contraceptives, in order to avoid such things as venereal disease."

Well, I must think on this more, before I  join the teach-them-contraceptives crowd. Even broaching the subject means planting the seed of thought of having sex.  Perhaps we must venture into that space, in order to teach them, but get in and out of the subject as quickly as possible. Take their questions, answer their questions, and don't brush them off -- but move on as quickly as possible.

In teaching contraceptives, teach morality. Don't let the discussion be left without stating reasons for morality, without saying that those who wait for marriage usually have better marriages, stronger marriages, and have the joy of being committed to that one special person in a way that can only be achieved by saving sex for marriage.

Well, those are my thoughts for the night, having thought as I typed. Time may change them, but they are my thoughts for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment