Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Poster Mother for Abortion Now Pro-Life

Once upon a time, Norma McCorvey was the poster mother of the pro-choice movement. Now, she is pro-life.

McCorvey, under the alias, Jane Roe, made her fame as the plaintiff in Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court case that legalized abortion in 1973.

Since then, McCorvey converted to Catholicism, and that led her to becoming pro-life. Last year, she played an elderly lady in a movie, "Doonby," in which she tried to talk a lady out of an abortion. The movie was filmed in McCorvey's hometown in Texas and was set in the 1960s.

McCorvey's case against Texas, demanding that the state allow her to have an abortion, was filed in 1969. By the time it reached the Supreme Court, it was long too late to prevent the birth, and the child was adopted.

"I abused alcohol, sex -- everything," McCorvey recalled for the Hollywood Reporter. "I understand the role that I've played in history. Of course I have  regrets, but I'm so glad that I don't have the regret of having had an abortion on my conscience."

No comments:

Post a Comment