Thursday, May 10, 2012

Let Same-Sex Folks have Their Marriages

Thoughts upon opening the morning paper.

And seeing the story of President Obama becoming the first sitting American president to endorse same-sex marriages.

I wonder if we should say, Let them marry, then.

I say that as a person who supported Prop 8 in California. I say that as a person who does not believe God intended for men to mate with men and women with women.

I got in the car, to do a little quick shopping, and the Doug Wright program was on. He said something to the likes of, "Fools rush in," referring to his coverage of the topic.

This has been the issue of the week, nationally. At the beginning of the week, Joe Biden gets on Meet the Press and says he is absolutely comfortable with those in same-sex relationships being "entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties."

Then, Arne Duncan, the secretary of Education, said (and he apparently intended no pun), "I do," when asked if he supported same-sex marriages.

And there was North Carolina, where voters voted to raise their law to state constitution status. Their law sticks with the traditional marriage, man and wife.

And, now Obama.

I  do not think same-sex marriages are right. I think of those who would marry their animals. We would not so much as think to extend marriage rights to such relationships. We would kindly (hopefully, kindly), say, "I don't think so, my friend. Marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman. I know you love your dog, but that love can be expressed in other ways. That you cannot marry your dog, and that it would be best not to have sexual relations with your dog, does not mean you can not care for your dog, love it, and be its friend."

Perhaps, that is about the attitude we, as a society, have tried to offer on same-sex marriage. The difference, though is that dogs are not human. To tell a person they cannot marry their dog is, then, different than telling a human not to marry another human.

But, both marriages, to me, are wrong.

But, the marriage with a same-sex person being wrong, should we allow it anyway. I consider that perhaps we should. When a people chooses something, sometimes -- not always -- we should concede, and let them have it. I could not say the same on many issues, abortion, for example. Abortion is wrong and no amount of public opinion should allow the lives of the unborn to be taken.

But, on this issue, let them marry. They have spoken, or are speaking. If it has not already, then wait until the public is more on the side of same-sex marriage. I understand public opinion is about 50-50. I would guess, though, if a survey is taken now, following Obama's announcement, it will show the majority favors same-sex marriages.

Let them have their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment