Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Don't Run from the Topic of Same-Sex Attraction

We might be letting go of this topic too quickly, not wanting to deal with it since there are things about it shaking what we have believed all our lives.

Now is not the time to let it go. If things challenge the way you have thought all your life, that is okay. I once came up with a saying, Truth does not run from knowledge, and think it applies here. Let's not shut down our learning on this topic. Let's pick it up.

If you are an honest seeker of truth, when something challenges your beliefs, you do not run from it, you learn from it. This is not to say you always change your position, but it is to say you give respect and consideration to the knowledge presented to you.

I'm speaking of same-sex relations, this time around. About a week ago, this post appeared on Josh Weed's personal blogsite:

http://www.joshweed.com/2012/06/club-unicorn-in-which-i-come-out-of.html?spref=fb

Read it, if you will. If you do, I suggest you will come away thinking most favorably of Josh, and judging him to be a strong member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Since reading it, I have reflected on reports that same-sex church members are going to the temple, and serving in significant local church positions.

But, more, I have thought on whether same-sex attraction might be something that comes from birth. I do wish they will understand if I still do not believe it so. I am not yet persuaded it comes from birth. But, science is saying it is so. More convincing than that, perhaps, is that Josh Weed is saying it is so. I cannot read his blog without thinking of him as being an honest person, and one who is being honest on this issue.

I think the scriptures are very clear that same-sex relations are wrong. But, what if, despite this being true, some people are, indeed, born with same-sex attractions?

No comments:

Post a Comment