Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Just a Thought: Have Runoff Instead of Primaries

I became a Republican today. As I walked in and out of the polling place, a nice-as-the-sky lady who arrived at the same time spoke to me about how she had voted all these years. I don't know that she said voting was the patriotic thing to do, but I could tell that is what she meant.

So, forgive me. If I had not changed my affiliation from independent to Republican for just this one day, I would not have been able to vote.

Should this be allowed? After all, the Republicans want to nominate their own candidates, and some don't like the notion that those who are not party members should have a say. Others say, Let everyone vote in the primary. Whether they are Republican, Democrat or whatever, let them cast their votes.

The danger, of course, is that some not belonging to a party might vote for the weak candidate in hopes of increasing their own party's chances come November.

Here's a possible way around that, and it's just a spur-of-the-moment thought, not something I've given a lot of thought to. Have a runoff in place of the primaries. Have a Democrat and a Republican running for one opening on November's ballot, and another Democrat and Republican running for a second spot on the November ballot.

Come November, this would often (in Utah) mean two Republicans would be facing each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment