Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Will Alcohol Make You Wise?

You must consider this, taken from a webpage on fact and fiction about alcohol:

"The moderate consumption of alcohol does not destroy brain cells. In fact it is often associated with improved cognitive (mental) functioning."

Now, lovers of marijuana have been know to argue it increases their ability to think, Carl Sagan  among them.

But, alcohol?

Studies have shown light to moderate alcohol consumption increases one's ability to think. Do you think it so? I will neither accept nor reject the notion right now. But, I will wonder.

Further down the page of the fact and fiction article, I find it says the body naturally creates alcohol. So, all of us have alcohol in our bodies, even if we have never so much as sipped the stuff. I find myself wondering if the body naturally creates alcohol, then does this mean it does have a positive effect?

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholFactsAndFiction.html/

I also find myself wondering that if the body naturally creates alcohol, can it not -- if functioning ideally -- create all that is necessary for maximum cognitive function?

I then read a webpage that says the that it is only in rare cases that the body produces alcohol, and the whole idea that if the body produces the stuff, it must be for a reason comes -- well, not crashing down, but stepping down a notch.

Now, as I reflect on my own mind's ability to function at a maximum level, I quite think it capable of doing so. A little false pride, you might say, but I think not. I think not just I, but most of us do have this capability of thinking at a high level -- without taking either alcohol or marijuana. I'm thinking the thing that makes the difference it whether we practice. As the saying goes, "Use it or lose it."

So, whether alcohol or marijuana can increase cognitive thinking, those two drugs are not necessary. We can think at the highest level without them and not run the risk that such drugs rather than increasing our cognitive function, might weaken it.

No comments:

Post a Comment