Thursday, June 13, 2013

The DesNews Story on Swallow Offered Up Lots of News

   Ahh, did that story in the Deseret News ever offer up news.
   Like, it might have included the first significant comments from Utah Attorney General John Swallow on the details of some of the accusations against him. Like, it included comments from his attorney. (I don't remember if his attorney has been quoted before.) Like, if my memory serves  correct (and I confess I have no time to  go back and read the story), it pointed out Swallow was a private attorney, not an employee of the A.G.'s office, when much of this was happening. And, it included Swallow flat out denying some of the gift giving (or was that not the DesNews article, but a KSL news story that included that).
   Anything else interesting? Well, like it marked one of Utah's leading defense attorneys being added to the list of those who have given testimony that doesn't reflect well on Swallow. It is one thing to have convicts testifying against you. It is another to have a respected attorney, Greg Skordas, offering things that aren't exactly helping your case.
   I will pick up the paper long enough to look at one item in the story. Bubbling in the middle of the article, it says Idaho businessman Grant Lee invested $1.1 million on a federal program that allowed Chinese immigrants to get visas. This certainly lifts my eyebrow. It's off the topic of Swallow, really, and to me hints at  something, of its own, that I think might be a wrong.
   How is it that people are making money off our immigration programs? I'll guess this Grant Lee is an upright citizen, only making money in an honest manner. But, how is it there is a federal program in which people are making money off people being allowed to come to the United States?
Perhaps there is a good explanation. I'd certainly like to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment