Thursday, August 29, 2013

Even Freedom at Times not Enough Reason for War

   Life is to be treasured so much, and peace valued, that at times even freedom is not enough cause for war.
   Yes, I love those words of the Star Spangled Banner, and do not doubt wisdom in them.
        Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
       Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
         Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
       Praise the Powr that hath made and preserved us a nation.
         Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
       And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
   Yes, I know our forefathers fought for freedom, spilt their blood for it. I do not doubt it. Nor do I doubt the God of Heaven preserved and made us a nation, through that war.
   I honor those who have fought for freedom in our wars since, including wars abroad, fought for not our own, but for the liberty of others.
   Nor have I forgotten the story of Captain Moroni, from my religion's Book of Mormon, and how he raised the Title of Liberty, pledging to fight, "In the memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children."
   Last night, as I prepared for bed, I considered how the cause of freedom is a cause worth warring for. But then I thought of a passage of scripture -- one that is also from my religion -- in which fomenting slaves to rise up against their masters is discouraged. "(W)e do not believe it right . . . to meddle with or influence them in the least to cause them to be dissatisfied with their situations, in this life, thereby jeopardizing the lives of men."
   And, I thought of the Anti Nephi Lehis in the Book of Mormon, and how they prostrated themselves upon the ground before an attacking army, dying instead of taking up arms fighting for their freedom.
   Tonight, I thought of the Israelites, and their many years in captivity. When they did escape the Egyptians, it was through the miracle of a sea parting, nor from fighting with the sword.
   Their are times for war. There are times to fight for freedom. But, be that being so, it remains that violence is to be eschewed enough that there are times for a people to be subjected, rather than to war for their freedoms. Perhaps I have not worked out when to fight for freedom and when to, as a people, be subject to dominion, but both are principles I believe in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment