Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Government Lays a Dollar on the Table, and it is Snapped Up

   Lay a dollar on the table, and someone will pick it up. It is a principle we have not appreciated, as to how it affects government.
   And, I wonder if I see a reflection of this principle in some of our philanthropic efforts. I'm speaking of the government as a philanthropist here, talking of times the government does its best to help those in need.
   I will confess to conjecture, for I think of the rehabilitation, treatment and care centers that have sprung up across our land. I wish I could learn where the patients get their money from to go these treatment centers. I think of a friend, dying from cancer, and being placed in an end-of-life hospice center -- at government's expense.
   What I'm saying when I say I wonder where the money comes from is, I wonder if the large share of it comes from government. We create programs like Medicare and Medicaid, and, once qualified, the people are eligible for care, which is great.
   But, who really gets the money?
   If a business sees it can make a dollar by building rehabilitation centers, because government will foot the bill for patients, it will snap that dollar up.
   Begone with it.
   This is not all bad. These rehabilitation centers do much good. They provide treatment and care that would be lost without them. But, there is a danger. It is that often, the patient is going to end up in the treatment center even though it is not necessary. There might be family that could care for the patient, but word to the family might come that the patient needs the care, and that they should let the patient get the care that he or she deserves.
   Yes, let the patient get the care deserved, so the treatment center can sweep up the dollar government left on the table.

(Edited 11/30/15, but it still remains a poorly-written blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment