Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Love the Same-Sex Community

   Opening the online Salt Lake Tribune tonight, I find not just one, but two stories about discrimination in Utah against those of same-sex affection.
   Do we, as a people, as Utahns show love for these people? Should we love them more? Do we even know what love is?
   Earlier today, I was thinking of what love is to me. It's warmness. It's enthusiastically greeting someone, and your enthusiasm being sincere. It is honestly feeling good about seeing someone and having a chance to converse with them. It is feeling joy towards someone, and showing that joy. Love is caring about them and wanting them to be happy.
   It is wanting them to have the things they need, including the social acceptance of those around them.
   Are those things you can offer those of same-sex affection? Should these be feelings you have and things you want for those of the LGBT community? What does religion teach? Is it not to love everyone? The phrase, "a love of God, and of all men," passes through my mind, as I think of the scriptures I have been taught. It says all men, as in no exceptions.
   If we were good at loving those of same-sex affection, there would be fewer stories of discrimination against them. Love does not walk with discrimination, it sheds it. On the other hand, what things accompany discrimination? Coldness, hatred, avoidance, ill will, condemnation and passing judgement.
   I am against same-sex marriage. Though I have not fully closed my thoughts on whether government should recognize it, I am against it. If I should come to agree same-sex couples should be allowed to be married, it will be because I conclude public opinion is so strong. What my perception is of right and wrong does not always coincide with what others believe. And, enough people thinking differently than I, their opinions should carry the day. But, if I do come to believe we should approve same-sex marriages, it will not be because I believe them right. I believe same-sex relations are wrong in the sight of God. My opinion is set on this. Passages in the Bible deliver to me no other conclusion.
   But, there is nothing against loving same-sex people. It is the right thing to do. If we are to have any chance of shedding the perception we discriminate against them, we must love them. Some will argue that not allowing them marriage and not thinking what they do is right in the sight of God  is discrimination in and of itself.
   And, it one way, it is, just as it is discrimination when we extend loans to students, while not extending loan money to advance the careers of everyone. Yes, it is "discrimination" when we reward someone for going to college, but we do not reward those wanting to advance their careers in other ways without college.
   Loving those of same-sex -- sincerely loving them -- will go a long ways toward erasing the perception we discriminate. But, if we want the perception to be a misperception, then we must love them -- truly love them. Whether something is truly discrimination can be judged by whether it is accompanied by love or hatred. Which will we offer those of the same-sex community?

   http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57598432-78/state-gay-meeting-dabakis.html.csp

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57597463-78/couples-sex-marriage-state.html.csp

No comments:

Post a Comment