Thursday, December 11, 2014

Can We Love the Truth Out of These Prisoners?

   I lean with those who say no to "enhanced" interrogations.
  True, we don't know how many lives have been saved because of information gathered through such treatments. Does the end justify the means? I wonder if it does. I also think of how inhumane the act of war is, period. Do we say that war is not consistent with our values, and lay down our guns and never fight again? After all, is it worse to torture a man in prison than it is to kill him on the battlefield?
   We all weigh what is right. At least, many of us do. I lean with those who say, No, for it just isn't consistent with our values. Saving lives by getting information through torture? That justification could be used for any information sought. Do we say, You never know what the enemy might spill, so why not torture him and find out?
   I do wonder if reasoning with the prisoner, and persuading him to our side, could not also be a successful interrogation method. I don't know that it is as effective, but, yes, I do like it better, the same. As with many of the world's problems, sometimes love is the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment