Thursday, December 25, 2014

May Ye Enjoy These Days, as We Celebrate the Birth of Christ

   "Happy holidays." "Merry Christmas." "God bless us, every one." "May the spirit of Christ be with you this Christmas season." "May ye enjoy these days, as we celebrate the birth of Christ."
   I've given thought, this year, to what Christmas greeting I should offer. Mostly, I stuck with "Merry Christmas," but, not without some guilt feelings. "Merry Christmas" is rather generic, really, and implies simply gift giving, getting together with family, and other such things.
   Which are wonderful.
   But, they don't necessarily reflect what I'd like to be the focus of Christmas, which is Christ. So, what of, "May ye enjoy these days, as we celebrate the birth of Christ,"?
   Well, it occurs to me that if such a greeting as that became common, we would utter it out without giving our words much thought. It would become an expression of casual exchange, not an expressment of earnest feeling.
   It would, perhaps, become a too-casual reference to our Savior. So, come next year, I may utter something such as, "May ye enjoy these days, as we celebrate the birth of Christ," some, but, I'll probably stick mostly with, "merry Christmas."
   Or, truth be told, come next Christmas, I'll probably think it over all again, and who knows what I'll decide.


No comments:

Post a Comment