Sunday, December 21, 2014

Merry Christmas and May Celebrating Christ's Birth Go Well With You

   Merry Christmas, and may these days we celebrate Christ's birth go well with you.
   Perhaps that is a greeting I can use these next few days. I have often thought of how we sometimes get offended by the greeting, "Happy Holidays," not because we don't like it in and of itself, but because it can be a replacement for, "Merry Christmas," and we view dropping "Merry Christmas" as a way of taking Christ out of the season.
   Seems to me, "Merry Christmas" doesn't necessarily include reference to Christ. The word "Christmas" derives from "Christ," but the manner in which "Christmas" is used means presents and toys and trees and shopping and family and visiting -- not necessarily Christ. Christmas can be celebrated without Christ being included.
   So, I might, in a few of my greetings the next few days, try, "Merry Christmas and may these days we celebrate Christ's birth go well with you." I've tried, "Happy days of Christ's birth," and have found that too awkward. And, if I just say, "May these days we celebrate Christ's birth go well with you," that doesn't come across as extending the Christmas greeting expected of me. So, I shall do both, "Merry Christmas" and, May these days we celebrate Christ's birth go well with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment