Friday, January 9, 2015

In a Gym Thinking About the Creation

   I once sat in a gym, listening to a speaker. I do not remember who the speaker was or what he said, but I do remember my thoughts. I looked up at the basketball hoop. There was a rim, and a net attached to the rim. I thought how impossible it would be for the net to thread itself to the rim on its own. We could lay the net down next to the rim, and wait for millions of years. There could be storms and lightning and earthquakes and such for as long as time might last, but there would be nothing to cause the net to thread itself to the rim.
   So, I concluded that if it took a person to perform such a simple building task, how much more was it necessary for something that is complicated to be directed by a human if it was to be created.
   My thinking had a flaw. It made an assumption. It assumed that if it takes a human to create a hoop or make a shirt or make a car, then that rule applies to the creation of living things. While complicated non living things might require a person to create them, that rule does not necessarily follow for living things.
   Still, my thoughts while sitting in a gym have value.

No comments:

Post a Comment