Monday, January 12, 2015

The Kill, Kill, Kill Mantra Pervades Our Society

   All I know, writes someone on Facebook, is that if someone swings a shovel at me, I'm shooting him.
   Ahh, my friend, therein lies the problem. We encourage each other to kill. We listen to each other and we echo each other and pass the mantra along: If someone threatens me, I'm shooting them. We whisper in each other's ear, so to speak, saying, kill, kill, kill.
   I say we are too quick to kill. Defending yourself does not have to mean death to the other person. Yes, there are times when killing is justified, when it must be done to defend yourself or your family. But, I do so believe we egg each other on beyond that. We begin to think it our right to kill if the other person attacks us. It becomes an attitude that pervades our society.
   And, if this is the attitude, should we be surprised if we reap a chorus of killings in which we are left to wonder if they were justified? Some might be, but I study them and wonder, and am inclined to believe a number could have been avoided.
   I wonder if we have sown the wind, and are now reaping the whirlwind. If we teach each other to kill on a whim, we should expect eventually the mantra will take hold, and there will be a host of killings that rather should be avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment