Tuesday, January 13, 2015

So, They Started an Investigation

  And, they started an investigation. So goes the old Simon and Garfunkel song. And, to change the lyrics just a little: It wasn't against the law. It wasn't against the law.
  It just seems to me that perhaps some of these officer shootings could have been avoided. Darrien Hunt was chasing around with a sword, and the fear was he might take someone out, so they shot him. I've wondered if this killing was justified. I don't know. But, I certainly question it. and I do wonder if their training influenced the officers in their decision to shoot him. We could list police shooting after police shooting, all with questions. Perhaps some or all were justified. Perhaps not. James Barton and his officer, according to a witness, wrestled on the ground for 10-15 seconds before the officer pulled his gun and shot him dead. Was it justified? Was it really a shot of self defense, or was it a shot of retribution? I don't know, but I certainly wonder. And, I also wonder if he was just doing what he had been taught to do, either in his official training or from public sentiment.
   It does seem the continuing pattern of killing suspects indicates that is what the officers are trained to do. No secret there, some might say. Why an investigation? It's common knowledge.
   The old Simon and Garfunkel song -- altered version -- starts playing in my head, again: It wasn't against the law. It wasn't against the law. So, they started an investigation.
   I just think we should be careful what we teach. Taking a life is something we should not choose to do if we can avoid it. If we are teaching shoot to kill, then should we be teaching it? Or should we be teaching that while there are times to kill, there are also times not to kill?
    It is time to evaluate what we are teaching and and time to consider the consequences we are reaping. The toll will not change if we do not change our attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment