Sunday, January 4, 2015

It is Hard for Us to Feel Deep Sorrow for Some Sins, but We Must

   There are some sins so common, so seemingly small, that we don't begrudge ourselves much for having them.
   Some would say, all of us gossip a little, all of us get angry, all of us mock at others, all of us tell partial lies or misrepresent the truth. These are small things, we tell ourselves, and we never get around to repenting of them. We expect small errors in our lives, for no one is perfect.
   A number of weeks ago, I became somewhat sorrowful over a sin I had committed. It occurred to me I needed to have sorrow if I were to have the impetus and the drive to change my ways. And, it occurred to me, we seldom have that sorrow for all these sins we see as small, or common. I told myself that when I see these sins spring up in my life, I must throw myself into a sorrowing mode, even coming to tears, if I can, if I am ever to have hope of changing, of getting these sins behind me.
   Today, it occurred to me that the Lord is mindful these small sins deserve deep sorrow, for he uses such language as "woe unto you" against them. "Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!" he says of pride in Isaiah 5:21. I would think if the Lord is using "woe unto you" in warning against pride, yes, it is something we should repent of in sackcloth and ashes.
   But, when was the last time you were taken to deep sorrow, maybe even tears, because of your pride?
   "And again, I say unto you, is there one among you that doth make a mock of his brother, or that heapeth upon him persecutions? Wo unto such an one, for he is not prepared, and the time is at hand that he must repent or he cannot be saved!" (Alma 5:30-31)
   Yet, making a mock of others, pointing out their weaknesses and ridiculing them, is such a common thing, that many of us do it without it even occurring to us that we are doing wrong. No godly sorrow there. No sackcloth and ashes, yet the Lord has warned us that unless we repent, such offenders cannot be saved. That doesn't exactly follow the nobody-is-perfect-so-don't-break-yourself-in-pieces-trying syndrome.
   Sorrow saves. Remorse is our friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment