Sunday, February 22, 2015

Does Science Suggest Our Emotions have Physical Properties?

  I sat down to write this blog two hours ago, but found my body was reaching the point in a Sunday afternoon where it gets sleepy. So, I postponed, and as I now return to write, I use what happened as evidence to forward my postulate.
  Behavioral patterns, including sleep patterns, come from our DNA.
  Maybe, this was already an established scientific fact, long before I got to it. I am not scholar enough to know, Maybe I am but traveling on well-traveled ground in arriving at this postulate. Did we already suppose our mannerisms and character traits are products of our DNA? Did we believe every choice and decision we make comes from our DNA? Did we already know our talents and abilities, our fears and emotions -- and even our beliefs -- all come from our DNA? Everything we are and everything we do comes from our DNA.
   I don't lift a fork, but what doing so comes from my DNA.
   Such is my theory.
   Notice, I didn't say these things are dictated by our DNA. I purposefully avoided that. I may treat that in a separate post later.
   When I went to bed, I was feeling groggy. Sleep was due. I would guess I had received six-and-a-half to seven hours sleep the night before. That's not a lot, but at least as much as I usually get. I am postulating, then, that it was not only lack of sleep, but past practice, that led me to feeling groggy. A pattern I had developed was contributing to my feelings of sleepiness.
   How do I know it was DNA? Well, when a bird flies, it doesn't just fly without physical forces being at play. It takes air pressure to lift it. It takes the function of wings to bring about the flight. Nothing is just done without physical properties being at play. Everything has a vehicle.
   So, are we to say that is not the case with behavioral patterns? Are we to say there is no physical presence of emotions and feelings and mannerisms? If they do not have a physical presence, what are they? You may believe they exist without being in substance form, but I tend to think otherwise, and am postulating that all things have matter.
    And, if it is not to be called DNA, what shall we call it? I don't know if this physical presence I speak of is among the already discovered DNA, or if it is a form of DNA yet to be identified. But, I believe our emotions, abilities, choices, and, perhaps, our thoughts, have physical presence.
      I hesitate to quote scripture, but a scripture comes to mind tonight as I write how perhaps our emotions and feelings and thoughts have physical presence. I am lucky enough to turn right to it, although I remember only that it is toward the end of the Doctrine and Covenants.
   "There is no such thing as immaterial matter. All spirit is matter, but is more fine or pure, and can only be discerned by purer eyes." (Doctrine and Covenants 131:7)
   Does that scripture apply? Perhaps. Perhaps not. To me, it does. But, perhaps while spirits are made of matter, that does not means emotions are.
   This postulate on feelings and dispositions and such being in our DNA does have precedence, even if it hasn't been stated (and it probably has). I cannot call up an example, admittedly, but it does seem I have read of studies of criminal behaviors being passed from one generation to another. And, in a book I am reading on evolution, I hear how sheep dogs are bred to be sheep dogs, which is a trait you might not think could be passed from one generation to another. This is a proven example of a character trait being passed from one generation to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment