Monday, February 2, 2015

These People (Including Me) Should be Allowed Their Opinions


   Now, why should a religion be criticized if it calls for civil rights for the same-sex community and at the same time asks for the right of religious expression?
   If you favor equal housing and employment opportunities for those of same-sex, you don't oppose them there. But, if you oppose their right to religious expression, why?
   I am a member of that faith. I know and love people of same-sex unions. I hail the call to give them their employment and housing rights.
   Marriage? I hesitate. Not only do I have the teachings of my faith that marriage is between a man and a woman, but I have the words of the Bible. Am I to be allowed to follow my leaders, and to follow the Bible? If I bear no malice toward them, if I show love toward them, am I to be given the middle finger and showered with 20 shades of hatred if I simply believe marriage is between a man and a woman? If I say, "If you marry, you will still be welcome in my workplace, still be welcome in my rental unit, and I will still want to be around you and enjoy a friendship with you. But, no, I do not believe your marriage is right," am I to be thrown to the pavement?
   Intolerence is not in having an opinion of what another person does, but rather it is in how you treat them as a result of that opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment