Sunday, February 1, 2015

Do the Scriptures Hold Insights into Whether Life Comes from Non-Life?

   I wonder what of this thought, that life might come out of non-life. I'm told, its a proven fact, that it was achieved in 2010 by a team led by J. Craig Venter.
   Well, I don't know. I do know that God was the guiding force behind the creation of man, and of all beings. I like, though, to weigh what I learn in such matters against the scriptures.
   And, I am not so sure the scriptures rule out abiogenesis (that is what they call the process of life arising from non-life). Tonight, I will share with you one scripture, and we will consider what it has to say on the matter.
   "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living soul." (Genesis 2:7)
   This scripture does address the topic. It does deal with the non-living becoming the living. It does speak of man being formed out of the dust, which might be a way of saying, out of the elements. Is there anything to the wording, that God breathed into him life? Can we take a non-living thing, and it remains non-biological until life is "breathed" into it? To me, and to others, that breathing of life into it would refer to the spirit entering the body.
   Oh, I think and wonder of more. I know some of what I wonder is not correct in theory, but I think it not wrong to consider all things. I wonder at the thought of scientists, that life comes from amino acids, and I read somewhere of someone inferring heat is involved, and I think of the term used in the scriptures, that man is no more than "dust and ashes."

No comments:

Post a Comment