Friday, October 9, 2015

Item after Item, Bill after Bill, Until the Budget is Under Control

   I opened my Facebook page to see a post about how private contractors in Iraq have made a handsome profit off the war, doing everything from charging exorbitant prices for washing clothes to charging high prices for connecting soldiers to the Internet.
   Then, I opened a story about the Salt Lake City Police Department receiving $1.9 million from the U.S. Department of Justice. With the federal government being $18-plus trillion in debt, why, I wondered, is it doling out money to every state and to perhaps most every city? Why? It doesn't  make sense.
   And, I think back maybe a week, to when a couple other such spending matters prompted me to write my senator, objecting.
   No less than three times this evening, my Facebooking happened upon stories of government waste. As I finished writing this piece, I opened my Facebook page and what did I find? A  post on how Tony Horton has toured military bases around the world giving training to our soldiers.
   And, I asked, at whose expense? I'm doubting he paid his own way. And I returned to this blog to insert this paragraph.
  What do I want in a congress member? How about someone who will file a bill every time such unwarranted spending is spotted, even if it means filing such legislation weekly. That would be wonderful, really.
   Defund Planned Parenthood? Yes, but don't stop there.
   Micromanage the budget. I would for a Congress that would pick at the national deficit, item after item, correcting each misspending as it comes to light. Yes, I, too, worry about what will happen to the economy if we take all this money out of it. I can only say, if private enterprise is spending the money, instead of the federal government, then the money remains in the economy.
   But, please, we must do something about the $18 trillion debt. I would for a Congress that saw the vision. I don't hear much -- make that anything -- about Congress slashing away, item after item. Why not? With all the conservative people we've elected -- they are a majority -- why is this not happening?
   Item after item, bill after bill, week after week, until the budget is under control.
(Note: Blog slightly reworded 10/10/15.)



No comments:

Post a Comment