Sunday, October 4, 2015

The Imperfectness of the Blogger

   Tonight, I reflect on the imperfectness of the blogger. I consider that if I try to post an opinion everyday, I'm bound to take some wrong stands.
   Mortals are mortal.
   I also reflect on how, once we have said something, we tend to believe it. We are more inclined to believe ourselves than we are anyone else, because we want to be right.
   I'm no different. It is a tendency I fight against, but that is not an easy fight.
   What are some of the things I've second-guessed myself on?
   One, GMOs. I once went downtown to do a one-man protest on something, only to find a n anti-Monsanto, anti-GMO rally in process -- and I joined it. I won't look up what my blog said, but I think I tentatively entered the GMO camp. This past week, I was reading in National Geographic, and came to a quote from a guy who helped develop GMOs. He said he and his colleagues had been so excited about the good they were doing for humanity, to increase the food supply, only to have folks jump them as doing a bad thing.
   He felt betrayed.
   As I read his comments, I wondered about GMOs. I try to not eat them when I can. They might be okay, but I often avoid them just in case they are harmful. Should I give it up, and just eat them?
   And, I think about my having said that if we had reason to believe Japan was considering surrendering, then the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was wrong. That's true, isn't it? But, perhaps there is no reason to believe Japan was even thinking of surrendering.
   And, I think about my blog last night, of how I spoke against Do Not Resuscitate. Tonight, I did an unsuccessful search to find out what Utah law says about when a Do Not Resuscitate order takes effect. Do you have to be legally dead, or just in a life-threatening situation? I also gave thought to all the damage that can be done when they do CPR, and I wondered.
   I still think, if you can save someone, you save them, unless they are vegetables or living in too much pain. But, I wonder, at least some.

No comments:

Post a Comment