Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Bless the Hospice Workers, but I Wonder on the Industry

I would comment on hospice tonight. I wonder at it. It offers comfort and care, but aren't those things everyone is going to give you anyway? Even without hospice, everyone is going to try to make things comfortable for you. I sometimes wonder what hospice can do. It is another arm around the shoulder, another kiss on the cheek, I guess. But, I wonder. I wonder what good it really does?
Bless those who work in hospice. I cannot think of anything more noble than to serve and care for those who are dying. And, those who place their family in hospice are only seeking their happiness. Bless them for this.
But the industry, itself? I wonder on it. We have people dying, and a business comes along and says, "If government or someone pays us, we will come in and comfort you. This will let you die in dignity."
Oh, there are those in all levels of these companies -- not just the hospice workers, themselves -- who are honorable, who truly seek to serve and comfort the dying. Still, I cannot help but wonder at this industry. People are dying, and someone finds a way to make a buck off them.

No comments:

Post a Comment