Monday, September 11, 2017

Did Americans Just go Ho-Hum on this Big Story?

No less than 143 million Americans had their personal information left open to possible identity theft in the past weeks. I've heard that amounts to more than half the adults in America. I read a story, and then open the online comments.
There's only one. I add my own:

Esquire, I consider that yours is the only comment I see. I wonder if we are not taking this seriously enough, hardly even showing an interest in it. I have had possible breaches on two separate bank accounts the past two weeks, so I am taking it serious. I wonder how big of play this story got. I must not have paid this news much mind when it broke, but am now going back to see what was written. Seems if half the adults in the U.S. had their information compromised, that should be a major, major story. We -- as a country -- are focused on Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma and all the disasters. That is good to be concerned about them. But, I wonder if this might end up being bigger. I wonder but what someday we might be hit with a financial disaster stemming from such things as the Equifax breach and other Internet breaches. It could bring this country to its knees if a sizable share of all bank accounts were emptied simultaneously (or even if it were not simultaneously).
And, here's a quote from the Associated Press story:
"On a scale of one to 10, this is a 10 in terms of potential identity theft," said Gartner security analyst Avivah Litan. "Credit bureaus keep so much data about us that affects almost everything we do."

Note: I corrected the spelling of Equifax. In the online comment, I spelled it Equafax.
Note II: It turns out, one of the two possible breaches on my bank accounts was not a breach.

No comments:

Post a Comment