Monday, September 25, 2017

On this Sunday, Alejandro Villanueva was a Star

   So, the Pittsburgh Steelers voted to stay up in the tunnel, instead of coming out on the field for the national anthem. But one guy, former Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva, bent the rule. He came out by the tunnel, placed his hand over his heart, and stood for the national anthem.
  So much for team unity.
  You have to love Villanueva. At least, I do. His is one of the most joyful stories coming out of the NFL's Sunday drama.
   I don't believe in requiring all players to join in the same response. To me, this issue is largely about freedom of speech, about freedom of expression. How that meshes with requiring everyone to think the same, I don't understand. To me, the right side of the issue is the one that says everyone is entitled to their opinion -- and their opinions are not of the devil.
   The only opinions I don't like are the ones that limit the opinions of others. Yes, I confess, that means I'm not with those who say the players shouldn't be expressing their opinions by going to a knee.
   I don't agree with a president who would force them to be patriotic -- his idea of being patriotic. You don't force someone to hold your your opinion. You don't force patriotism. That's unAmerican.
   So, the same thing goes with Villanueva. Let him have his opinion. Let him be free to express it however he will. Hold a team vote and make everyone fall in line with the majority? Nope, I'm not with that. Instead, encourage each team member to do as he will. Encourage them to be accepting of each other, though they differ in their opinions and how they express them.
   If someone wants to stay in the locker room, let him. If someone wants to take a knee, let him. If someone want to stand in rapt attention, hand over his heart, let him. I'll applaud them all.
   Now, if someone brings out a small flag and holds it up for all to see, and then lights it on fire . . . of course, I won't applaud that.

No comments:

Post a Comment