Monday, October 30, 2017

We Should Outlaw some Ways in which Opioids are Used

   If we fear the opioid crisis is a national emergency, perhaps we should outlaw some uses of these drugs.
   I went to the dentist the same day President Trump declared a national emergency. After my teeth were pulled and implants in place, the doctor gave me a prescription for hydrocodone. "Pain medication should be taken before numbness from local anesthetic is gone," said the written instructions.
   That would mean taking it before I knew if I needed it.
   I didn't take it. I didn't really experience much pain, certainly not enough that I should take an opioid.
   I wonder at how some laws could be set up, how we could direct them so that they take away the abuse while still being there for those who need them. Do all patients experience basically the same pain from dental work? If so, outlaw opioids in for dental work. But, that probably isn't the case. Some people probably have severe pain.
  But, I do wonder if we should have the pain set in before the prescription is given. Let the patient go home, but give him a phone number to call if the pain gets severe, so a prescription can be hurriedly issued and filled at that juncture.
   I realize some will suggest this is cruel, requiring the patient to enter into pain before medication can be prescribed. I wonder on it, the same, wondering if it still might be the right thing to do. I do think we should outlaw some uses of opioids.

No comments:

Post a Comment