Thursday, December 7, 2017

Glucose, Which is in Wheat, is 'The Energy of Life'

   I eat a lot of wheat, and that means a lot of glucose.
   "Glucose is key to keeping the mechanisms of the body in working order." -- healthline.com
   "Glucose is the energy of life." -- Dr. Robert H. Lustig in the video, Sugar: The Bitter Truth. (Lustig is a renown opponent of sugar.)
   I do not know how long ago scientists decided there are bad carbohydrates and good carbohydrates, but I see Lustig identifies glucose as a good carb.
   As I write this, it occurs to me that a belief of the church I belong to has been vindicated by this -- by the studies showing glucose is a good carb. "All grain is ordained for the use of man and beasts, to be the staff of life," it says in that section of the Doctrine and Covenants (89) known as the Word of Wisdom. ". . . Nevertheless, wheat for man."
   I would imagine, this point has been made in Sunday school classes, but it is just catching up with me.
  Too much glucose can be bad, however. At least that is what the healthline.com article says. "While glucose is important," it says, "like with so many things, it's best in moderation. Glucose levels that are unhealthy  or out of control can have permanent and serious effects."
   The article notes exercise reduces glucose levels, and my mind whips back perhaps a year ago, or almost, to a day when after a hard exercise, I found myself wondering if the exercise had actually removed sugar from by body.
   And, my mind chases back to when I ran to the pharmacy to buy monitoring device, so anxious to get it I couldn't wait another day, only to buy it and leave it unopened. Was it a blood-sugar (glucose) testing device? I rush to my room to find it, and it is, indeed, a glucose-testing machine. I do not even remember why I wanted it so bad, or why I was then interested in my blood sugar.
   But, perhaps I should use it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment