Tuesday, December 5, 2017

'Sugar Kills Everyone,' Screamed the Headline

   "Sugar Kills Everyone," read the 72-point headline at the top of the front page.
   "Doctors, scientists and national leaders meeting Tuesday in an emergency session declared sugar to be the leading cause of disease in the world," read the article. "Although mankind has long acknowledged sugar has harmful effects, the world has never thought it to be anywhere near as devastating a substance as it turns out to be. Tuesday's announcement shook the world."
   Okay, okay, hold those presses. Such a news story might seem wildly insane. Though you have known me to use fiction to make a point, you might think that this time I certainly overstepped the bounds of reason.
   I won't say I fully believe sugar is as bad as all that. But, I will say I wonder. Does it kill "everyone"? I would not be surprised at all if it reduces the life expectancy of everyone who takes it -- which would be just about everyone who dies a natural death.
   Sugar has been linked to a host of diseases. If you would would list them all, and grant that if sugar plays a role in all these diseases, then it should not seem improbable that sugar might be the leading cause of disease.
   So, while no newspaper has ever run a banner headline proclaiming it, I am not so sure but what sugar, indeed, doesn't kill everyone and isn't the leading cause of death and disease,

No comments:

Post a Comment